Come, Holy Spirit, and fill the hearts of your faithful.
Age and Grade Requirements
In order for an adolescent who has received the Sacraments of Baptism and the Eucharist to begin preparing for Confirmation, he or she must be currently enrolled in at least the tenth grade and be at least 15 years of age. Celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation will occur in the spring of the year in which the candidate has completed preparation.
Confirmation and Religious Education
Preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation is separate from religious education classes. Those teens preparing for Confirmation must be concurrently enrolled and participating in a religious-education program during the year in which they prepare for the sacrament. Enrollment in a religious education program is defined as one of the following:
- Participation in the parish religious education program
- Enrollment in Catholic school
Registration begins in August for preparation that year.
Please fill out the Confirmation Registration Form and provide a copy of your teen's baptismal certificate along with registration fees.
Preparation for Confirmation involves several steps that cover the course of about a year.
- Candidates and their parents attend a Confirmation Orientation Session. This session is designed to cover the process of preparing for Confirmation as well as discernment for both the candidate and parents with regard to readiness and disposition for sacramental preparation.
- Candidates and parents participate in an initial interview.
- Ongoing attendance and participation in scheduled Confirmation preparation sessions (see schedule for dates.)
- Rite of Recognition and Call to Confirmation: Candidates presented at a parish liturgy to enable the parish to pray with and for each candidate.
- All candidates must participate in a retreat experience as part of their preparation.
- After attending sessions and the retreat, candidates will have an assessment of readiness to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation. Candidates will write a letter to their pastor explaining why they want to be confirmed. Candidates will have an exit interview.